The Medical College of Wisconsin is a distinguished leader and innovator in the education and development of the next generation of physicians, pharmacists, other providers, scientists and healthcare professionals. We discover and translate new knowledge in the biomedical and health sciences; provide cutting-edge, patient care of the highest quality; and improve the health of the communities we serve.
Approximately 1,510 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) physicians and more than 600 nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and other health care practitioners provide adult patient care as the Medical College Physicians and pediatric patient care through Children’s Specialty Group, a joint venture with Children’s Hospital and Health System. The Medical College of Wisconsin physician practice includes doctors in every specialty and subspecialty of medicine.
Each year, MCW providers, physician assistants, nurse practitioners and psychologists care for more than 500,000 patients, representing more than 2.2 million patient visits.
MCW providers practice at three major affiliates - Froedtert Hospital, Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, and the Zablocki VA Medical Center - and many other hospitals and clinics in the Milwaukee area.
There are more than 1,200 students enrolled in degree-granting educational programs at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW). This includes 817 medical students, and nearly 400 graduate students.
In addition, MCW faculty members supervise approximately 650 physicians in residency training and 180 physicians in fellowship training through the Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals. Approximately 160 scientists are engaged in postdoctoral research fellowship training through the Office of Postdoctoral Education.
MCW works with national and international medical specialty societies and community hospitals to accredit approximately 250 continuing medical education activities annually for physicians and other health professionals.
The Medical College (MCW) of Wisconsin is a major national research center, in fact, the largest research institution in the Milwaukee metro area and 2nd largest in Wisconsin.
MCW’s research enterprise is focused on strategic, prioritized areas of research involving interdisciplinary collaboration among scientists and physicians with the goal of rapidly translating discoveries into advances for patient care.
In FY 2016, Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) faculty and students reported 50 invention disclosures to MCW's Office of Technology Development. These disclosures represent potentially commercializable assets, including drugs, diagnostics, medical software, R&D tools, teaching tools, and medical imaging.
The Office of Technology Development portfolio consists of 228 technologies, 44 technologies resulting from collaborations with faculty at other academic institutions or companies, 320 pending or issued US and international patents, and 69 technologies licensed to companies. To bring these new technologies and related products to market, MCW has research and development affiliations with on-campus sites as well as universities, research institutions and health care organizations, as well as government and venture capital groups in Wisconsin and elsewhere.
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) invests significantly in expanding its community mission to build strategic community-academic partnerships that have the greatest impact on Wisconsin’s most critical health needs. More than 280150 faculty members are involved in more than 480 community outreach activities.from over 20 departments and centers are working with greater than 350 diverse community groups to advance public and community health in the metro Milwaukee area and throughout Wisconsin.
MCW began as the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons, founded on May 20, 1893. On January 14, 1913, the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons and the Milwaukee Medical College merged to become the Marquette University School of Medicine.
In 1967, Marquette University, due to financial constraints, terminated its sponsorship of the medical school. Since then, the school has continued as a private, freestanding institution. The name was changed in 1970 to the Medical College of Wisconsin.
From these roots, MCW has grown into a nationally recognized education, research and clinical powerhouse. MCW has more than 165,000 living alumni.